Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Maple Bacon Cupcakes (birthday brunch cupcakes)

Do you have that friend? You know, the one you love and that will stand beside you no matter what? The one that asked you for a special cupcake for her special day 2 years ago...but you put it off because she will always be there and you will get to it eventually.
Eventually came knocking on my door and it was time for me to bake. I was not thrilled about baking these little gems as the idea of bacon on a cupcake never really thrilled me... But today I ask; why the hell did I wait so long?!?

350
18-22 minutes
24 cupcakes

The recipe:
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff)
1 1/2 sticks butter
1/4 cup bacon grease (luckily the hubs keeps this on reserve in the fridge)
4 eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp vanilla

Sift flour, soda, powder and salt - set aside.
Cream butter,Bacon grease, brown sugar and sugar in mixing bowl fitted with paddle.
Combine buttermilk, vanilla and syrup - set aside.
Add eggs 2 at a time to butter/sugar mix.
Alternate adding dry ingredients and wet ingredients to butter/sugar mix starting and finishing with dry ingredients.
Fill cupcake tins (with liners) 3/4 full, bake for 18-22 minutes

The icing:
1/2 cup butter
4-6 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cups maple syrup (again the real stuff)
1 tsp vanilla (good stuff if you have it...I like the paste)

The Bacon - the yummy, wonderful bacon.
I have to hand it to my husband who suggested the addition of heat to this recipe...it made all the difference in the world. Due to the maple syrup and brown sugar, this Recipe is a little on the sweet side. The bacon adds a wonderful spicy salty goodness!

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper. Top paper with a metal cooling rack.
325 - 20 minutes
Broil 2-4 minutes

6 slices of thick cut bacon
1/3 cup brown sugar
1tablespoon cayenne pepper

Combine bacon, pepper and sugar in mixing bowl until bacon is covered. Space bacon out on cooling rack - bake then broil. (perfect crisp bacon)

I didn't have a camera the day I was baking, so I didn't get a chance to take photos as I baked. Final product below (and yes that is a mimosa in the photo...perfect birthday brunch cupcake).

Hope you enjoy! I know that our group did!


No comments:

Post a Comment